Jack Reacher has a clock in his head. For the rest of us, on June 30th, 2015, at 23:59:60 UTC, the world clock will gain an extra second.
As best I understand it, this happens because Earth’s rotation around its own axis is slowing down. Very, very, VERY gradually. But still, enough that it makes the atomic clock out of sync with the sun by one second every few years. So we need the leap second in order to maintain the sun as our primary timekeeper.
In other words, we time atomic clocks to match with the sun. We wouldn’t have much success the other way around, would we? If anyone knows how to convince the sun to sync up with our man-made atomic clocks, please leave a comment! 🙂
The last leap second we added was on June 30, 2012. I’m sure you remember what you were doing at that moment, right?? 😉
Let’s make this year’s leap second one to remember!
Here are 5 Ways to make the most of this year’s
- Go on an “invigorating getaway.” The idea of doing something daring outdoors as a means of reinvigoration occurred to me when thinking and writing about Father’s Day last week.
Ballooning? Hiking? Hang Gliding? Or Dude Ranch? Which is your idea of an invigorating getaway?
- Do a quick stretch. It’s one of the little things that keeps Carlos Gaspar going strong on the Hunt for Jack Reacher.
- Turn off the TV. Pick up a book instead.
- Enjoy your freedom. And appreciate the fact that you’re not planning a prison escape…
- Hit “Search” and Google something you’ve always wanted to know the answer to.
Do any of these ideas work for you? How do you plan to spend your extra leap second?